Regularly Monthly Library Board Meeting
Dwight Foster Public Library
Monday, December 5th, 2011
Present: Jim Fitzpatrick, Kathy Kauffman, Libby Jones, Mark Haubenschild, Pat Belt,
Rita Gray, Connie Meyer
Absent: Ann Engelman, Janet Negus, John Wilmet, Bill Camplin
The meeting was called to order at 3:34 p.m. by Rita Gray. The minutes of the
November 7th, 2011 Regular Board of Trustees Meeting were corrected and
Public Input/ Communications: None.
Directors Report: Director Connie Meyer presented the October 2011 Budget
Report, the Transit Report through October, the Library Building Expenditures
Report through October, the Construction Budget Report through October and the
October Monthly Report.
Oct. fines to the City $1,058.01
YTD fines to the City $11,067.10
Oct. Revenue to the City $986.23
YTD Other Revenue to the City $12,113.05
YTD Total Deposits to City $23,180.15
Approval of Bills: Bills for November 2011 were approved. (Jim/Pat)
Trust Fund Review: The November trust fund review will be presented at the next
Jefferson County Library Service Contracts: The Jefferson County Board of
Supervisors approved our entire budget request for 2012. The signing of the 2012
Jefferson County Library Service Contracts was approved and authorized.
Art Committee Report: Connie reported the installation for the Children's entry art
will take place on the weekend of December 17th outside of regular library hours.
Friends of the Lorine Niedecker Report: Connie reported the conference went
Friends of the Library Report: Pat reported the party for Shelly was successful and
very well attended. Pat also presented a report on all the special projects and
generous donations made by the Friends of the Library this year (see attached
Mid-Wisconsin Federated Library System Report: Connie reported there will be
an opening on the board for Jefferson County in 2012, Rev. Kranz will be retiring as
of the end of the year.
Next meeting date: January 9th, 2012 at 3:30 p.m.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:22 p.m. (Jim/Pat)
Friends of the Dwight Foster Library Volunteer & Financial Support
2010 - 2011
Members gave of their time to accomplish the following:
- Helped to move out & back into the library during the expansion project.
- Served as greeters to acquaint patrons with the new layout of the library when it reopened.
- Set up, sorted & shelved books & media donations in the Rogers/Friends Room in preparation for the restart of the book & media sales.
- Expanded the Adopt-A-Shelf program to accommodate the larger number of library shelves.
- Helped to complete the RFID tagging of the entire library collection.
- Financial support for the Children's Summer Reading Program as well as other children's programs throughout the year.
- Approximately 40 free bags of books from our book sale room were awarded to adult summer reading program participants who qualified.
- Commissioned the triptych of birds by local artist Jan Gilkey, located at the top of the staircase. $4500
- Sponsored a travelling art exhibit by disabled artists. $100
- Stocked & organized the new Community Room kitchen. $150
- Hosted an author visit for James Grippando with a wine & cheese reception. $900
- Provided staff with thank you gift certificates for the move. $530
- Purchased 2 laptops: one for the Community Room for media presentations & one for downloading ebooks.
- $500 donated to the Along the Rock River project, located permanently in the library entrance.
- $4000 donated to the Library Trust Fund.
Source of funds: Our funds come primarily from memberships & community donations. In addition, the Friends hold several used book and media sales throughout the year. We also opened the Coffee Corner this April to make coffee available to library patrons as a fundraiser.
Prepared by: Nancy Price, President